Chemex with Friends
- Grind your coffee quite a bit coarser than you would for a V60, and a bit coarser than for a smaller Chemex
- Put in the paper filter and rinse it with at least 100ml of water. This also preheats the Chemex.
- Pour out the rinse water
- Add your grounds to the Chemex and add double the amount of water, or ~100g.
Let it bloom for 45 seconds.
I tend to be way less structured with a large Chemex than with, say, a V60 recipe, as I do it less often and the water flow is less predictable. So take these more as a rough guide than anything else
- From the 1-minute mark, add roughly 200g of water
- Now, whenever it has drained significantly (every 30-60 seconds), add between 100 and 200g of water
- Finish your brew at 700g and let it drain. This shouldn’t take more than 6-7 minutes total (if it does, try a coarser grind next time)
Make sure to enjoy the coffee quickly, as the Chemex cools down quite fast. And don’t forget to share! 😊